Counselor in Training (C.I.T.)
Small children love to look up to older kids in both play and as good examples. In volunteering for WYP, you get to be yourself, while engaging younger children to play, explore, and connect. We will facilitate ways for you to do all of this, while keeping in mind, safety, conflict resolution and inclusion. We will teach you some WYP mentoring tricks as well as help you discover gifts you naturally have that can make you a better counselor.
2020 COVID-19 Summer Update: We’re sad to report that our C.I.T program has been cancelled for this summer due to COVID-19 health restrictions. We’ll hope to see you in 2021!
Commitment to complete the C.I.T. Training:
– Training Day in May
– Please make sure that you are available at least three weeks this summer.
- This is an UNPAID volunteer position. Hours worked qualify as Community Service credit.
- After the CIT has been put on waitlist, our Outreach Coordination will reach out with an application for the CIT to fill out. We have found that the more the CIT takes responsibility for the entire experience, the more engaged they are as a CIT. We understand guidance is still needed and we will communicate with both the CIT and the parent/guardian to make this the best experience for all.
- Attending the mandatory CIT orientation on Sunday May 3rd DOES NOT guarantee acceptance into CIT program.
- Once the training is complete, CITs will be assessed on application, reference letter and maturity. It is VERY COMMON for CITs to attend a couple of sessions before they are scheduled out on adventures with us. If the CIT is deemed ready, our outreach coordinator will work with your schedule to find weeks you are able to volunteer this summer.