Most school year volunteers choose one day a week to volunteer and assist the same 2 staff and 12 children for the duration of at least one season. WYP’s school year consists of four seasons: Fall I, Fall II, Winter & Spring. Volunteers meet with staff to prepare for the day 30 minutes before program, and stay 30 minutes post program to debrief. This typically requires a 4 hour commitment once a week, on the same day each week.
Volunteers are 18 and older. Younger Counselor in Training volunteers, ages 13-17, are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Programs meet at local parks, open spaces and schools in Goleta, Santa Barbara, Montecito and Ojai. View our map of meeting locations. Read about the role of a Wilderness Youth Project volunteer on our Volunteer Resources Page.
We hold a few Volunteer Training Session throughout the year. Please check this link Volunteer Training for our next scheduled training.
- Morning pre-school & home school programs meet from 8:30am – 1:30pm.
- Most after-school programs meet from 2:30pm – 6:30pm (6pm when not in daylight savings).
- Times above include prep and debrief.
In addition to the logistical responsibilities we ask of volunteers, we also request that volunteers be committed to growing in the following areas:
- Modeling of the peacemaker principles (Peace, Unity & The Good Message)
- Development of life skills, awareness, personal gifts, and empathy
- Gaining understanding of WYP’s mentoring philosophy (Coyote’s Guide by Jon Young, Evan McGown & Ellen Haas is a great resource)
To Become A Volunteer:
First, Email our Volunteer Coordinator, Sonia Connors, at email@example.com.
Please include responses to the following in your email:
- What are your intentions for volunteering with WYP?
- Tell us about your experience working with children and/or in the outdoors.
- What are you most curious about in nature presently?
- When is your birthday, including year?
- How did you hear about WYP?
- List the programs (days & times) you’d like to volunteer (see link below).
- Are you currently a student? If yes, where?
- What is the best phone number to reach you at?
View our schedule of weekly school year programs seeking volunteers.
Please see our Volunteer Resources Page regarding Orientation, Waivers and Fingerprinting.
Note: The first three days of volunteering are treated as trial days for all new volunteers. After this time volunteers may be approved to continue volunteering for the season’s duration.
Volunteer time may count toward community service hours.
WYP offers trainings for volunteers several times a year. These trainings are open to those considering volunteering and community members interested in learning more about the methods and culture of WYP. Registration is encouraged but not mandatory. Please join us as we explore the philosophy of Wilderness Youth Project through conversation and exploration.
The Volunteer Training will include:
- An introduction to WYP’s core routines i.e. sharing gratitude, sit spot, wandering
- Discussion and practice of The Art of Questioning & Coyote Mentoring
- Sensory Awareness Activities
- An overview of our codes of conduct and program protocols
When: Saturday, June 9th, 2018 – 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Where: Skofield Park – Please bring water & snack
To Register: Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in your email: your name, birth date, intention for attending the training, and what program you’d like to volunteer with.