Beyond Access with Xochitl Clare
Welcome, Dra. Xochitl Clare!
Wilderness Youth Project is excited to welcome Dra. Xochitl Clare to the team this summer. Xochitl is serving as an Interim Family & Community Engagement Coordinator, She will work with our program families and sister organizations in expanding WYP’s ability to host nature outreach events.
Where to find Xochitl?
- 2023 Latino Conservation Week #LCW2023 (July 15-23)
Catch Xochitl speaking on the annual “Agua es Vida” panel for this year’s LCW2023 events hosted by Latino Outdoors. Watch her speaking on the 2022 #AguaEsVida panel linked here!
- Beyond Access (2022) Hosted by Xochitl Clare
As an environmental film host, Xochitl collaborated with WYP in Beyond Access (2022). The film centers her discussions on the next generation of leaders and practitioners who are diversifying outdoor spaces. It also highlights the importance of allyship in ensuring that underserved and historically marginalized youth and families are able to rebuild a sense of belonging in nature. (Produced by the Carsey Wolf Center’s Coastal Media Project, University of California Santa Barbara)
- Online on her website, Instagram, or in-person at WYP HQ.
Xochitl’s Top Summer Resources / Places to Explore
- “Zandi’s Song” (2023) - The author, Zandile Ndhlovu “the Black Mermaid”, is South Africa’s first black freediving instructor. She creates art, media, and writes to promote diversity in ocean spaces. Zandile inspires wonder at sea in this delightful children’s book.
- UCSB REEF Aquarium - FREE to the public every Friday/Saturday, 11:00am–3:00pm, Summer 2023 Open Door Dates: 7/7–7/8 and 8/5–9/8 (Excluding Holidays)
- El Capitan State Beach - Sea stars are easy to spot at low tide sunsets!